Taking advantage of the frequent sales by Black Tree Design, I’ve added some additional Wehrmacht troops to my 28mm World War II German force. Previously, I had painted up more than thirty of Black Tree’s figures, so this later order filled out my collection with a few more soldiers armed with rifles, another officer and a mortar crew with a nifty spotter with binoculars raised to his eyes.
When on sale, these metal cast models from Black Tree come in at about $1.50 USD each. This price point makes these miniatures super affordable, quick to get based and ready for painting up using my regular painting process.
Painting 28mm German Infantry
- Clean flash from metal models with a sharp knife and glue to metal washer or plastic bases.
- Apply filler putty to bases. When dry, scrape off excess with a sharp knife.
- Basecoat models and bases with flat black spray primer.
- Paint pants, helmets, soft hats, officer greatcoats and gas mask containers with Skavenlight Dinge.
- Paint faces and hands with Tallarn Flesh.
- Paint packs ans straps with Baneblade Brown.
- Paint boots and equipment straps Black.
- Paint bases, gun stocks, water bottles and helmet straps with Dark Brown.
- Apply Agrax Earthshade wash to webbing and packs.
- Dry brush pants, helmets, soft hats and officer greatcoats with Light Grey.
- Lightly dry brush bases and gun stocks with Baneblade Brown.
- Paint metal gun and water bottle parts with black and finish with a light dry brush of Metallic Silver.
- Dry brush gasmask containers with metallic Silver.
- Paint eyes with small dots of Off White and Dark Brown. Clean up around eyes with Tallarn Flesh.
- Mix 50/50 Tallarn Flesh and Off White and brush highlights on cheekbones, chins, forehead, nose and hands.
- Cover bases in white glue and cover in 50/50 mix of fine light green and dark green grass flock.
- Glue small pieces of clump foliage to base.
- Spray coat completed models with matte finish.
With about 40 of Black Tree’s models now complete, I’ve got a flexible, reliably sized force of simply outfitted Germans ready for deployment in a variety of European tabletop scenarios.